Friends of Wood County Dog Shelter

Type your paragraph here.

DAISY - Little Daisy (nka Squirrel) arrived at the shelter with two other, larger, Chihuahuas after being found huddled in a field in 90 degree weather.  Unlike her companions, she was tiny, shivering, curled up in a ball, crawling with fleas and unable to stand.  She was rushed to Perrysburg Animal Care where Dr. Bergstrom, D.V.M. evaluated her, finding her to weigh 2 pounds, her temperature was only 93 degrees, she was horribly anemic from all the fleas and terribly dehydrated; she would be spending the night and was given a 50% chance of surviving the night.  The next morning found her flea free, still very weak, but able to stand.  She was taken home by Missie Jarrett, C.V.T. who watched over her, providing feeds every two hours.  Missie fell in love with this tiny girl who had fought so hard to live; Squirrel now has a safe, loving forever home...Squirrel Jarrett is doing wonderfully.

I trust him...he fixed my eyes

SUZIE - We are proud to have partnered with Maumee Valley Save-A-Pet, enabling both of us to take care of this little one so she can find a forever home.  We also owe a big thank you to Dr. Rick Martin, D.V.M and Midway Animal Hospital.  Here's Suzie's story.  Little Suzie was left in the shelter's drop off without so much as a note giving us her name or age; she was initially estimated to be around 4 years old.  When I took her pictures and handled her a bit, something didn't feel quite right...could she be pregnant?  We made an appointment with Dr. Martin and the 20 minute ride ended up taking 35 due to multiple stops for her to pee.  Her exam aged her at around 7 years, palpable exam revealed no pregnancy, but a mass was found and it was thought to be a bladder stone; x-ray confirmed.  MVSAP was contacted and we agreed to split the cost...little Suzie needed surgery.  She spent the night at Midway and the next morning Dr. Martin removed the stone, spayed her, microchipped her and gave her a rabies.  Suzie spent her first post-op night at the vet and the next day, I picked her up and delivered her to MVSAP and from there, she would go into a foster for at least 2 weeks after which, she will begin the search for her new forever home.  Both F.O.W.C.D.S. and MVSAP work very hard for funds, through fundraisers and independent donations; please...there is no such thing as 'too little.'  Suzie's medical was almost $'s just a matter of time till the next 'Suzie' comes along.

Suzie for her photo shoot...

Little Daisy survived the night

I feel better now...thank you

MAXWELL - Sweet, docile Maxwell was picked up after being found laying on a porch...not his!  At first glimpse, he seemed to be a normal, healthy guy with clean fur and nails that looked like they'd just had a pedicure.  His second day was a bit different...during a walk, it was noticed that he had a large amount of blood in his stool and was no longer bearing weight on his left, hind leg.  The fear...he'd been hit by a car and had internal injuries, though there were no outward signs of trauma.  Off to Perrysburg Animal Care for evaluation.  Physical exam showed only decreased range of motion of his left leg, the x-ray showed something far more serious.  Maxwell had an old hip fracture that had never been cared for and therefore, healed improperly.  He would need surgery or the muscle atrophy and leg pain would become so severe as to result in amputation.  A procedure called an FHO (femoral head ostectomy)...and a neuter!  Maxwell's surgery is scheduled for 11/3/16.  We placed him in a wonderful foster home where he will await surgery and recover, before being placed for adoption.  Updates will follow.

Not pregnant!

What a good sedation for his x-ray!

My eyes hurt....

Overnight Intensive Care

Results are in...

Turner’s Journey

Fourteen pound Turner arrived at the shelter on 8/24/2015; his little body trembling, bruised and with a right hind leg dangling and obviously broken.  The warden immediately made an appointment with a vet and, as the shelter staff was very short, he was loaded into our car with great care not to cause him further pain.  During the ride, I stroked his head, talked softly and did my best to reassure him that he would be soon feel better.  We arrived at the vet, was told I’d have to leave him for a few hours so he could be sedated for the x-ray; I went back to the shelter, anxious to go back and pick him up.  A couple hours later the call came and back I went, only to find him as I’d left him…he wasn’t better.  The x-ray didn’t come out; he definitely had a broken leg but, without a much better x-ray, the severity of the break was questionable.  Back to the shelter we went, x-ray and pain meds in hand, and into a kennel on soft blankets…what to do now?  A man stopped in and was looking for a small dog to adopt; in spite of being told about his condition, the man wanted to see Turner.  Sure he wouldn’t be interested, when he saw the misshapen leg, I led him back to his kennel…that was when the magic, that all rescuers know too well, happened; he sat down in the kennel, stoked the head of this helpless little one and the connection was made.  Shane wrote down his name and phone number and asked that I keep him up to date on how he was doing…he wanted to adopt Turner.  The shelter was about to close; I called my vet and convinced them to let me bring the x-ray in for him to see.  The film HAD to be better, so Turner was scheduled to be taken to my vet, first thing in the morning.  8:30 on the 25th and we were headed out for x-rays and hopefully treatment.  Again, I had to leave the little guy.  Within the hour, my vet called me, told me what he found and said he’d like to cast it; having consulted with my Vice President, in a parking lot, the night before I asked him to take care of him and do what he needed to.  Shane called for an update and was told what was happening.  Around 2 pm I got the call that Turner was ready to ‘come home.’  I spent about 20 minutes with the vet, getting all the details of his injury, going over the x-ray, and getting discharge instructions.  This time, Turner was handed to me with a full leg cast on his right leg, the dreaded ‘cone of shame’ and we were headed back to the shelter where he’d have to spend the next two days of his stray hold.  Shane called, asked if he could come and see him and met us at the shelter where he spent almost an hour petting and talking to him.  “Keep me informed on how he’s doing, please,” he said as he left.  Turner did well overnight and the next day too; perhaps because he had a special visitor every day.  The day came, Shane and his girlfriend came, FOWCDS adopted Turner to Shane, Turner got his very own license, a smaller and softer cone and best of all, his freedom ride home.  Many thanks to the Wood County Dog Shelter staff, Dr. R. Martin and his staff and, most of all, to Shane for his commitment to help heal this sweet and tolerant 8 month old pup.

FOWCDS is very happy to announce that Griffey, now Hartley, came through the surgery on his eyes with flying colors. After 2 weeks of wearing the cone, here he is at Total Pet Care (Briarfield) waiting patiently to have the stitches removed. Such a good boy for the procedure. Then came yet another tail wagging event...Hartley was adopted by his foster Mom and her daughter, Bella (who was having her third birthday today). Congratulations to Hartley, on your new forever home, and to your new family, who have taken such good care of you. Happy Birthday, Bella.

Again, Hartley's surgery would not have been possible without generous donations from both Donna Trautman, to FOWCDS, and the Wood County Dog Shelter's Veterinary Care Fund - Hartley (Griffey) and FOWCDS thank you SO much.

Exhausted, but improved

My new, forever family.  Anna and Bella took good care of my eyes while they healed.  Then the best thing of all happened.....they ADOPTED ME!!!

Medical Cases

Who could NOT help this guy!?

One, rather large, bladder stone

It's time to get the stitches out

UPDATE:  12/19/2016 - Maxwell's condition proved to be a bit of a challenge; the femoral head had grown back and was fixed to the femur at an odd angle.  All x-rays, including one done once he was under anesthesia, appeared to show the femoral head, along with bone chips and debris, just floating in the hip socket.  The surgical approach was done with intent to simply have to remove the head and debris; head wouldn't budge.  Debris cleaned out, incision closed, neuter performed and a four week recovery  ahead, followed by re-evaluation to determine if a second surgery to remove the head would be performed.  Sweet Maxwell, thanks to careful monitoring by his foster family, recovered well and slowly began bearing  weight on his leg.  Re-evaluation went as follows:  Dr. North was pleased at the progress Maxwell had made and after much discussion it was decided to not do another surgery at this time.  Though he may always have somewhat of a limp, due to muscle atrophy from the fracture that was never treated, he doesn't appear to be in pain.  Should he show signs of pain or difficulty using his leg, we will revisit a second surgery...for now, he will spend the holidays cone free with his loving foster family.

GRIFFEY - Griffey's future adoptive Mom and daughter would come to the shelter every day and spend time with this gentle giant, who never fussed or complained and soaked in the attention.  One day, after a play session, Griffey was heard crying in his kennel. Further investigation revealed his eyelids were turned inward on both eyes, causing his eyelashes to rub against his eyes...ever get just ONE eyelash in your eye?  He was taken to the vet and diagnosed with bilateral entropian and would require surgery, if he was to be pain free.  His daily visitors agreed to foster him, through recovery and all was put in motion to have his eyelids corrected, get him neutered and vaccinated at the same time.

​Going home with his forever family

Doc fixed up my cast, now I have to wear this silly cone again.

Early morning trip for more x-rays & treatment.

Note the swelling on his right hind leg